UT MD Anderson Cancer Center
The primary role of the Director, Clinical Coding Operations is to direct, administer and lead our Hospital, Clinics’ and Professional coding operations whose primary mission is implementation, execution and management of the Hospital’s (inpatient) and Clinics’ (outpatient) coding, quality assurance, and integrity to provide the institution and Physician Referral Services (practice plan) with accurate, reliable and timely revenue coding and feedback of its clinical and research services provided to its patients. The Director will be responsible for working collaboratively and in coordination with the other areas within Revenue Operations and Clinical Coding department to implement activities to provide compliant, consistent and leading-edge practices that are critical to the financial success of the Institution’s patient Revenue Cycle, through its staffs’ talents and ensuring compliance with Federal and States’ requirements. The position will have visibility to many clinical divisions and must demonstrate strong interpersonal communication skills, excellent management skills and professional presence to function under pressure due to time and importance constraints.
- Direct, administer and lead the Coding team responsible for patient, clinical and research coding and quality assurance of its inpatient and outpatient functions and 2,000+ users of Physicians and Mid-Levels. The Director will work closely with the others throughout Revenue Coding and Enablement, Clinical Operations and the Division of Finance that includes resources from Clinical Divisions (such as Surgery, Nursing, Pathology, Lab Medicine, Diagnostic Imaging, Radiation Oncology, Rehabilitation Services, etc.), HIMS, Case Management, Performance Improvement, central IS, Research Finance, Patient Business Services, Clinical Revenue and Reimbursement, Accounting, Sourcing and Contracting, Legal, Managed Care Contracting and Treasury, among others. The Director will serve as the primary contact point for all Clinical Coding functions.
- The Director will oversee team roles and responsibilities needed to execute continuous implement of the Coding team processes by utilizing people, processes and technologies to improve efficiency, effectiveness, service quality and reduce cases backlogs and cycle times measured by discharges that are not final billed so that overall performance metrics are optimized.
- The Director will participate as needed in all Revenue Cycle project related decisions including staffing, deliverable acceptance, change management and communications.
- The position must consider processes and implement functions that comply with UT System Policies, Federal and State Statutes and the institution’s policies and procedures regarding revenue coding and capture compliance, financial controls and audit inquiries.
- Provide support to strategic projects that interact / overlap / or has dependencies with the Epic project including ICD-10 Coding Standards project, eResearch and the Moonshot platforms.
- Maintain personal professional growth and development through seminars, workshops and professional affiliations. Establishes goals and objective for employees to measure performance and cross training to mutually agreed-upon expectations and provides employees access to resources needed in progressing in their development plans.
- Perform special projects as assigned by the Executive Director, Revenue Operations and Clinical Coding.
- Seven (7) years of professional progressive experience in finance, accounting, health information management or related fields.
- Requires knowledge of large scale clinical and or professional revenue coding operations and clinical implications, information systems, analytical and planning skills.
- Must demonstrate professional judgment, independent decision making abilities, extremely strong interpersonal and communication skills, excellent supervisory skills, and the ability to function under pressure due to time constraints.
- Ten (10) years of prior experience of successfully managing Professional or Health
- Information Management Coding operations. Epic Care and Resolute 2010+ user.
- Siemens Invision and 3M Encoder software experience.
Required: Bachelor’s degree. Currently licensed as a CPC, RHIA or CPHIMS.
Preferred: Master’s degree in finance, business administration, or a health information management related field. Currently licensed as a RHIA, CPHIMS, CCS, CCDS, CDIP or CPC. Epic Care and Resolute 2010+ certified user.
Offered through UT System
Instructions for Resume Submission:
Please go to the link below to apply for the position at the UT MD Anderson Cancer Center career opportunities and submit resume.
Upload any career fair flyers or other documents as they relate: