UTHealth has great career opportunities with our Revenue Cycle team! If you are interested in a career as a Medical Coding Specialist, Medical Billing Professional, or other opportunities apply today!
Reviews, determines accuracy of and applies the correct coding conventions to patient charge encounters, procedural and surgical services, as defined through physician documentation, regulatory agencies and various third-party payers. Provides general and specialty-specific education related to physician coding/compliance, non-physician practitioner coding/compliance and appropriate coding convention, both individually and to collective groups.
Position Key Accountabilities:
1. Identifies the correct coding applications utilizing standardized coding conventions required for the patient charge encounters when reviewing physician generated codes, ensuring compliance with regulatory agencies, correct coding initiatives and regulatory guidelines for clinical documentation.
2. Identifies and reports correct code selection from physician documentation, to include, but not be limited to; chart notes, abstracting from medical records documentation, medical diagnostic and/or interventional reports, ensuring compliant coding selections are reported.
3. Reconcile charge ticket against patient schedules.
4. Ensure that patients are charged for all procedures via encounter forms.
5. Identify trends and provide feedback to medical staff, supervisors, and administrative staff.
6. Act as knowledge expert to service provider through familiarity with coding conventions.
7. Partner with providers to inform of new coding conventions, changes in current coding conventions, and provide feedback on the providers coding practices.
8. May include data entry of codes.
9. May include entry and confirmation of patient demographic information.
10. May provide education and training at the guidance of the Reimbursement Operations Manager.
11. May assist with account follow-up and resolution of claim denials.
* Certified Professional Coder (CPC) by the American Academy of Professional Coders or
* Certified Coding Specialist-Physician (CCS-P) by the American Health Information Management Association or
* Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA)/ Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) by the American Health Information Management Association.
*Must complete certification within 12 months of employment at UTHSC-H. Monitoring of certification is department’s responsibility.
Three years of coding experience.
May substitute required experience with equivalent years of education beyond the minimum education requirement.
Exerts up to 20 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 10 pounds frequently and/or a negligible amount constantly to move objects.
This job class may contain positions that are security sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of Texas Education Code § 51.215
High School Diploma or equivalent
Instructions for Resume Submission:
If you are interested in a career as a Medical Coding Specialist, Medical Billing Professional, or other opportunities apply today!