UT MD Anderson Cancer Center
The mission of The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center is to eliminate cancer in Texas, the nation, and the world through outstanding programs that integrate patient care, research and prevention, and through education for undergraduate and graduate students, trainees, professionals, employees and the public.
******This is a hands-on training program that involves testing, lectures, intensive documentation, accelerated knowledge******
The primary purpose of the Clinical Coding Associate position is to create an internal apprentice role, which will allow internal incumbents and external candidates to be trained so they can obtain the necessary requirements/skills to be eligible for the final transition points listed in the path.
In addition to participation in the Apprentice Program coders will be required to provide a robust support to Revenue Operations & Coding department by: performing entry-level coding on less complex for multi-specialty encounters after training in each specialty area and eventually learning to review or assign appropriate diagnoses and procedure codes to professional services. This position will follow all coding rules and regulations as set forth by the American Medical Association, CMS, as well as other appropriate sources and payor guidelines.
- Active participation in the institution’s Coding Apprentice Program.
- Completion of all learning modules and passing of the associated module exams.
- Perform entry-level coding on less complex accounts.
- Performing entry-level coding on less complex for multi-specialty encounters after training in each specialty area.
- Post Training key job functions will include:
- Perform an overview of CPT 4 and ICD 10 codes sent through the coding department, and make appropriate changes to ensure department coding rules and insurance payor regulations are followed.
- Demonstrate good decision-making skills in making revisions to charge documents.
- Assign appropriate modifiers, and follow the Correct Coding Initiative guidelines, as indicated through the Local Coverage Determinations (LCD), as well as the National Correct Coding Initiative (CCI).
- Communicate effectively, and demonstrate good interpersonal and professional skills when interacting with others throughout M.D. Anderson Cancer Center.
- May be required to attend group, or individual meetings with physicians or with administration.
- Comprehension of global periods and modifiers
- Report backlogs and high work in progress (WIP) balances to management.
- Meet department accuracy standards.
- Meet department production standards.
- Report problems/concerns to management.
- Compile reports, as needed
- Attend training classes
- Must be flexible and adapt to changing work assignments.
- Must have the ability to work independently without close supervision.
- Must exercise good judgment in making decisions in regard to coding and/or auditing outcome.
- Other duties as assigned
No work experience required.
Two years healthcare-related experience.
Preferred: One or more of the following:
- Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA)
- Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT)
- Certified Coding Specialist (CCS)
- Certified Coding Associate (CCA)
- Certified Professional Coder (CPC)
- Certified Professional Coder – Hospital (CPC-H)
- Certified Outpatient Coder (COC)
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Bachelor degree and/or Associates degree in Health Information Management
- Bachelor degree and/or Associates degree in Health Information Technology
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html.
Requisition ID: 142329
Employment Status: Full-Time
Employee Status: Regular
FLSA: non-exempt, eligible for overtime, and is subject to the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
Work Week: Days
Fund Type: Hard
Pivotal Position: No
Minimum Salary: US Dollar (USD) 44,000
Midpoint Salary: US Dollar (USD) 55,000
Maximum Salary : US Dollar (USD) 66,000
Science Jobs: No
Instructions for Resume Submission:
Please upload resume and detailed cover letter at the time of application submission. Please use the link below for full details. Thank You!